Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Not riding= suck

So I have been kinda ill since Saturday and haven't done any riding at all. This is also coming off the heels of basically a week off after Ouachita so I have had quite the break. Not such great news heading into the Sylvan Island Stampede xc race. I'm still excited for the race though. Last year I was all busted up and in a sling. I also read Shockey's blog and something he said was made a lot of sense to me: (in reference to xc vs endurance events "(I) don't care any less, don't look any less forward to them, just starting to relax a bit. (I am)also accepting my endurance training and its affect on my xc racing." Now, I have to clarify that I will still probably throw up before the race Sunday just like every other race, but I do feel a bit more at ease with the xc races. I think maybe it has to do with being fortunate enough to have races like this year's, and last year's Ouachita Challenge, or having been worked over on the bike more times already this year than total last year. Either way, the worst case scenario, aside from injury, is blowing up to the point where you can barely turn the pedals and I have been there. For example miles 32-40 this year at Ouachita: averaging just above 9 mph... on a relatively flat gravel road. So, I don't know, it just doesn't worry me as much now, and I know the rides will be good either way, and the people are good no matter what happens.

Bone Bender 3/6 hr is on the 18th. That is my next really focused goal. I would like to do well in the 6 hr singlespeed category. I was really excited for the race last year. Which, by the way, turned into a total mudfest. Unfortunately it just like many other races last year had to be missed, so I am coming back with a small chip on my shoulder. More on the details leading up to the race coming soon. Plus, I think its about time to ride to Chariton again... and back this time. Two days- 300+ miles... that's what I'm talking about.

1 comment:

  1. get in touch with me when you start thinking about the chariton ride if you're interested in company.

    ReplyDelete