Thursday, July 1, 2010

Riding, and the big plans

So recently I talked about big plans that I was formulating. Time to announce them... but first an explanation. I was really bummed that I couldn't do Transwisconsin. I am sure I would have been in over my head, I just don't have the experience bike-packing, or bike-camping, or whatever you call it. I am also sure that you don't get that experience unless you go out and do it, maybe have some small failures, and build from there. Since I have already decided that TransWisconsin is going to be a for-sure event for me next year, I need to start getting experience now. So I started inventorying what equipment I would need and decided that first, as much as it pains me to say, I am going to want gears. Having to stand and climb hill after hill on a potentially 35 or more pound bike just isn't very enticing. Also, as I found out on my failed gravel ride, if I get into soft road, or sandy/muddy sections I quickly become very overgeared unless when on the road I am significantly undergeared. So I contacted Waltworks about modifying a XT M770 9 speed cassette to fit my Chris King singlespeed hub. I now have a five speed that allows me to run a 36t up front with a 18,21,24,28,32 spread in the back. Gears- Check. Now that is figured out, mostly, but how will I carry all of my stuff? I have a Carousel Design Works seatbag, and Epic Designs framebag, and two Epic Ride Research feedbags, but was missing some much needed storage space. I e-mailed Eric at Revelate Designs (formerly Epic designs) and now have a new and improved handlebar bag coming. I think this should be able to store everything that I need as far as shelter, clothing, sleeping gear, food, and water. I hope it does because I am going to go ride Wisconsin for 7-10 days in August. I am hoping to start in Eau Claire and ride to Neilsville (Levis Trow Mounds), Wausau (Nine Mile), and maybe a couple in between. The 10 possible day trip should cover about 500-600 miles depending on how much riding is done each day at the trails. I am hoping that I'll get some guest appearances from friends, but mostly I just want to try and survive and enjoy being gone for a few days. It will be coming off the heels of RAGBRAI and I'll need to unwind.

Now I just need to decide on bike set-up details. What tires will be able to roll well riding between trails and on the trails? What bike? Sounds stupid, but I have the Soul Dillinger set up now. It has the Fox suspension fork on it, and is a little more relaxed riding. Is there any way I can NOT ride the Eriksen? I would have to get new drop-outs (no problem) and run full-length cable housing (no problem). I think that the Niner fork and overall comfort of the Eriksen... plus the fact I love it makes me think I need to get on the horn with Paragon Machine Works and get some geared drop-outs.

Happy Fourth of July. I hope to get some riding in on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th... (depending on how the weekend goes)

1 comment:

  1. Other than a little bit of bike touring and one fully supported ragby, I haven't had a ton of bike camping experience either. Check out the forums at bikepacking.com. For TW, I had good luck with my Nanoraptors. DG had good luck with Weirwolf 2.55's IIRC.

    Gravels up that way ranged from sandy to limestone. The tough part is balancing too much stuff vs too little and figuring out when/where you can get food and water. Getting stuff off of your back is a good idea. I had a good amount in my Ergon pack this year. I'm switching over to a frame/seatpost bag set up for next year.

    ReplyDelete