Thursday, May 6, 2010

Chequamegon 100

16 days away is the first annual Chequamegon 100 mountain bike race; epic. This is probably going to be the most intense day I have ever had on a bike. Maybe not counting the wreck a year ago or so, but we will see how I feel when/if I finish. 100 miles self supported. The self supported part is what puts it ahead of when I did the 80 mile Ouachita Challenge. All your water, all your food, clothes if you need, equipment, tools. So many things have to be accounted for. Thankfully, I do feel a level of confidence thanks to the hours on the gravel with Steve, and the way I felt at the six hour race. I know I can physically pedal a bike at least ten hours. I know that for at least seven hours (I still had some gas in the tank at the end of six and a half) I can ride singletrack at a 10-11 mph pace. I am doing it with the Niner carbon fork. This will be my longest rigid mountain ride by 50 miles. I think I am prepared with my food. I know at least I can carry enough food and water to travel 50 miles of singletrack. I am thinking 32x18 because if I walk so be it. At the same time, what if just dropping to a 19t makes it so I can climb a few more hills. I know that at the Dakota 5-0 last year I ran 32x19 and wished I had run 32x20 because the climbs were grueling and the downhills were so fast that I was spun out anyways. I think that the ability to spin more averages itself out over a longer period of time. I felt similar but not as strongly after Ouachita this year. I am hoping to get at least two: three to four hour sessions on singletrack before the 14th which is when I fly out to see Karen. Glad I can vent.

Here are some of the details of the Chequamegon 100:
"Bring the equipment, food, and hydration you need to get to the finish! There will be no drop bags, or aid stations of any kind. There will be 1-2 places for water refills." -Joe Meiser, co-creator.

The course will be consisting of singletrack, doubletrack and fire road over all 4 major trail areas of the CAMBA system, Hayward, Cable, Rock Lake and Namakagon. While it is not yet finalized, it will consist of at least 70, and maybe up to 85 miles of singletrack, while not lapping over the same piece again and again. And of course, it will be 100 miles in total. With over 300 miles of trail to choose from (see graphic), there is a lot to ride, and the route will only be finalized and issued the Monday before race day. It will be issued in GPX, map and cue sheet formats, you pick your favorite. - the crazy thing about this is that I don't think that the trail will be marked at all. You must navigate the singletrack. I hope my dirtcat navigation skills from GF come back out.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on getting in the Cheq 100! Some friends and I were going to do an informal 100 last november, but injuries halted that. Our course included starting and finishing at seely even. I can't believe it is a real race now. Anyway, having ridden most of the probable course I would say go with the harder gearing due to the lack of long sustained climbs and rolling nature of the area.Just be ready for some rocks. If it is singletrack then forget about the long grinds of the Fat tire 40. Whatever gear you used for Decorah TT will be more than enough for the climbing at Cheq.I rode the Rock Lake/namakagon town hall loop/area in about 2 hours and felt fresh as a daisy and pumped for more. Judging by your resume I think you will do just fine. Oh and the navigation shouldn't be to hard because there are sign everywhere to help guide riders. Best wishes. Dan Roberts

    ReplyDelete