Monday, May 24, 2010

Long time no post

I haven't posted anything in quite a while. I'll say I was too busy or something like that, but honestly I just haven't wanted to post anything. I spent hours and hours contemplating the Chequamegon 100. I worried for hours and hours about food, water, my fitness, travel, everything pertinent and many other things that aren't. Now its over. I finished.

Previous to Wisconsin and Chequamegon I had the opportunity to head out to Montana to see Karen. She graduated with honors from one of the top journalism schools in the US. The University of Montana is the only school in the nation to rank in the top ten in: print, radio/tv, and photo journalism. I am really proud of her, and had no doubts that she would succeed.
After graduation festivities and spending time with her parents and sister Tart, we embarked on the 20 hour drive home. Karen was a super-trooper and drove the entire way because I can't drive a manual... yeah I know, I'll learn sometime. We stopped for an overnight in Spearfish, SD after day one, and spent some time in Wall, SD at Wall Drug. If you are ever driving through South Dakota stop at Wall Drug. It is a crazy little tourist village with a animatronic dinosaur, mountable jackelope, shooting range, coffee shops, and more personalized mugs/signs/nic-nacs than you can shake a stick at.

We arrived Monday night, late, and on Thursday we departed again for Wisconsin. Karen and Agent accompanied Nick and I up to Nick's parents cabin which allowed us to stay only a couple hours from Seely where the race was being held. Friday sent us to Hayward to relax and prepare for what was about to be the longest and most trying day I, and many others, have ever had on a bike. I'll give the race a complete write up of its own, but the basic details are this: 11 hours of total time, 10 of it riding, the last hour without water, plenty of really good companions including officially meeting Mr. Charlie Farrow, lots of getting lost, beef jerky, dried fruits (my new jam), pop-tarts (of course), and bears/foxes/wildlife. Big thanks to Joe and Tim for putting on the race, and one thing in regards to the cue cards/course marking: Its all part of the game. Could it have been better? Probably. Could it have been worse? Definitely. If it happens next year I'll be there again. Now to focus on Dirty Kanza and 200 miles of gravel fun... and getting a real race write up done.

3 comments:

  1. Yep. That's one for the books. Hard to beat and repeat a day like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I would have know, I could have set you up with some sweet rides in Missoula. Lived there from 85-89, then 92-94, still go back every year to ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo Young Jedi-Warrior!!!! Your future in the Enduro-Game looks soooo bright that my advice is for you to obtain a pair of extreme sunglasses...Seriously, I very much enjoyed our time together and take comfort in the knowledge that I have made a folder w/your name on it!!!
    Best regards,
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete