Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dirty Kanza means:

Dirty Kanza is a bicycle race. It is one that I am really excited to participate in, and would like to do well in. It, more specifically bike choice for it, has been constantly going through my head and last night I believe it was 100% made barring total weather debacle. Big decision because DK is a 200+ mile self sufficient gravel race. Jim Cummins, one of the promoters, did a 13 minute podcast on Ciclirati.com, and I really encourage checking it out. It gives some history of the event and a good description of what I will be expecting.

I decided to ride the Crosscheck, but it needed wheels. So after a fairly lengthy decision making process I decided on a pair of Paul components hubs laced to Stans ZTR 355 rims with DT supercomp spokes. I decided that if I was doing the wheels I should jump on a sale on a Winwood carbon fork. Had a Chris King headset on the bench so it got that. Overall the Crosscheck received a massive upgrade, and I built the wheels and did all the labor in the comfort of my own home which was also nice.


Nick and I went out on the maiden voyage for this set up and what was intended to be a fairly relaxed ride turned into a two hour investment in the pain bank. It was lightning when we left and looked a bit sketchy, but we decided to head out anyways. We were seven miles in before we had to stop under a tree because we were caught in a total downpour and lightning looking very close. Waited for a bit and decided that the rain wasn't getting any better and that we would trudge on. Ended up riding the Quincy- Jordan Creek loop. The rain began to let up and we ended up tacking on a Res. loop, and got about 25 tough miles in. Good ride, good mental training, nothing fell apart so we'll call it a successful ride.

I will be shopping for new salsa soon. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. get this guy, i quite enjoy it.
    http://www.ironq.com/dessert_pepper_trading_corn_black_bean_roasted_red_pepper_salsa.html

    ReplyDelete