Thursday, March 18, 2010

Unplanned metric/ sorry Aaron

Alright, I got some riding in today. I started the day with Wanda and Lisa and got in 25 or so miles. We got in a nice gravel loop around Sugar Bottom area. The ladies are going to be ready for Almanzo 100, and hopefully I can help. The ride today was super segmented, it makes me focus on the end result better so sometimes this type of riding is best for me. It is less comparable to race situations, but it keeps me focused on riding for a longer amount of time. After I left them I met with Steve McGuire to ride out to see Mr. Tom Teesdale. Rode with the wind west to West Branch very quickly. I was then introduced to Tom. He has welded production frames for Kona and Gary Fisher among others, and built countless trikes and bikes for individual people. He is also building prototype frames for a new Salsa/QBP snowbike to match the Pugsley, tentatively called the "Snowflake". We talked a lot about a new gravel frame and fork that I want. 42 c with fender clearance, 135 mm spaced, 3 bottles, and belt drive... damn right. It was really interesting talking to Tom. He has been around the industry for so long, he recalls all kinds of different parts and frames. I was happy after talking for a while that he didn't say any of my ideas or mental measurements were absurd or dumb. I went with an understanding of what I wanted for top tube, seat and headtube angles, chainstay length, and headtube length. After we had those in place we dialed in other measurements and just conversed about position and purpose. All in all a very productive meeting and I will keep the progression posted.

I am sorry to Aaron for possibly posting this before he gets to write up his blog but, his new bike is here and is going to be bitchin. He can and will write up all about it I am sure, so I will leave that to him. I am going to say this though, and sorry Aaron if it puts pressure on you but, I will say that Aaron WILL win at least one race this year, AND will win the Iowa Series. I am throwing down the gauntlet, I will personally drive him to Ida Grove and Council Bluffs if I have to. Cam is an excellent rider who works hard, rides well, and does an amazing amount of work for mountain biking in this state, so this is no kind of disrespect to him, but Aaron is ready. I will say it for him since he may not... he closed the gap last year, and has busted his ass this year in the offseason... plus he has an amazing new geared mtn. bike to help level the playing field. I am loving seeing the races become more competitive and hope that it spurs more people into racing at all levels.

One more long-ish ride on Sunday and then Karen next week and Ouachita. She got an interview with NPR so cross your fingers, that would be awesome for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment