Monday, February 15, 2010

Bike decision taking shape/ upcoming rides

So in the continuing saga that is me and my undeniable thirst for bicycles I made some calls today. First call was to No tubes. I ordered a pair of 36h Flows to pair with the Surly hubs that are currently on the gryphon. I may ride them still on the gryphon, but I bought a tomicog so the plan is to ride these wheels fixed... and I don't plan to ride the gryphon fixed. So that led me to my next phone call: Soul Cycles. I am interested in a Dillinger from them. This may replace the previously mentioned k monkey. Aaron had one and he liked his, and I think they have improved the geometry in the latter two generations. That frame set up fixed with the wheels and some fattie tires I think could be a really fun gravel/singletrack/snowmobile bike. I want something lighter than the puglsey and more the feel of an actual mountain bike, but I still want something that can tackle the snow covered level-b roads. I have been reflecting on a ride done with Aaron and Shockey in December. We hit some roads that even on our mountain bikes were tough to ride, if possible at all. I think that a bike with 2.4 tires on wide rims and a tall front end to keep the weight on the back wheel could be so much fun on that nasty kind of terrain.

This thought plus the fact that I talked to Rock Lobster and their time-frame didn't work with mine, although I was happy with the interaction I had talking to them. So without that idea working out I am really still not sold that any cross frame does exactly what I want. I guess the Cross-check will work for now... it IS going to get new wheels.

Rode around today and plan to go for a ride tomorrow so I did some yoga tonight. The dvd I got from QBP is really fun. I did it for a little over an hour and it was like seven sequences of poses. I wasn't worried about riding more than just the normal school loop today so I relaxed, had a good salad at Airliner and got surprise company. Riding tomorrow, Thursday, and then Sunday. Tomorrow I think I will head south for my normal Lone Tree loop. I haven't mapped that one yet and it will be a fun course to "race" my Garmin on. Thursday I'll probably head north and try to get in a metric, although I have been really wanting to head back through Oxford and to Amana. Sunday is the monthly century with Steve. I am forgoing an opportunity to go to QBP's open house, but I need to get the hundred day in February, and it will be a great ride one week before CIRREM in Des Moines. Maybe someone else will take the plunge, I told Steve today to plan to route so time for some Eriksen time.

No comments:

Post a Comment