Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Cross already

Sooooo, been home for a few days with first illness, now snow, and I have had some time to think. I can't believe that cyclocross bikes have ruled so much of my imagination kingdom. First let me say, before a complete run-down of what has been going through my head: I don't really race much cross, so I am not looking for the same things that your average cross racer is looking for. Now, THAT being said, I want to race cross. I think it is a really hot aspect of cycling. I think the openness to spectators, the inclimate weather, and the constant race mentality are all amazing. I wish I could get into it. Four races in my life have happened as cyclocross races. Fifth place at Jingle Cross in 2008, good races (mid pack) in my first Cat. 3 races this year (and raced the 3 race, then the Open on the singlespeed), and then third at Devil's Cross this year in November. I should be motivated by this. I just don't know what it is, maybe it is too hard... I don't think that is it, but it isn't cold, getting last, or being boring. I just wish the switch would flip for me, so if somehow that is the case this year then I want to have a nice bike worthy of racing, but excelling in long rides because I LOVE gravel. A lot of my long rides are gravel oriented, even more than my road rides. I think it allows me to simultaneously work handling, endurance, and power in one ride more efficiently than any other bike I have. That is why this is a tough decision, and each of the bikes has pros, and cons. This is what is whirling around in my brain, in no particular order...kinda:
Choice:
I HAVE a Surly Crosscheck it is nice and comfortable. Ultegra front and rear derailleurs, Bontrager carbon crank, Chris King hubs laced to Stan's ZTR 355 rims.
Pros: Fits, and has, 42c tires, bar-end shifters are reliable, I know I can ride 100 miles on it and be comfortable. Semi-horizontal drops makes it gear or ss friendly
Cons: It isn't really a cross race bike. It is a little small for racing, it is heavy, and the bar-end shifters are as beneficial in a race format. Basically the things that make it a good long gravel bike make it a not as good cyclocross bike.
Choice: Singular Kite
Pros: Well there have only been prototypes but Marty from Prairie Peddler rode one in some late season cross races I believe so this is semi-speculative. Singlespeed/geared compatibility is there via semi-horizontals, I like the ride of steel, Reynolds 853 to be exact, and dealing with Singular is very pleasurable and it is fun to support a business on the rise, and a friend's bike shop.
Cons: Its only a prototype and who knows when it will be available, I am also concerned that even though the ride quality of the 853 should be better than the chromoly of the Surly, I don't know that the weight is going to be that much lighter, and Singular isn't claiming super wide tire clearance, which I want.
Choice: Salsa Titanium La Cruz
Pros: Titanium ride quality should shine on longer rides while being lighter than its steel alternatives, 42mm tire clearance
Cons: Pricey, similar to the crosscheck in that the benefits geometrically of this bike would be great for gravel, but wouldn't lend themselves to cyclocross as much, geared only.
... also if I am going Ti, I know someone who could do that for me:
Choice: Eriksen cross bike
Pros: Custom geometry would lend itself to find a nice mixture between gravel and cross geometries... I think the pros are that I could make this bike however I want it.
Cons: VERY pricey, the most expensive option by far... that is the downside.
Choice: Specialized S-works Tricross
Pros: I know that I like the Tricross geometry, the carbon fiber would be light and should give exceptional gravel ride quality, obviously it can be a legit cx race bike
Cons: Price, possible durability of a carbon bike, tire clearance, and geared only.

These are, of course, among many other possibilities, and it is possible that my decision will be made by outside sources. For now I'll just be happy with what I have, especially since the mtn bike needs just a bit more dialing in.

Hopefully a ride sometime soon, although I have stopped holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment