Saturday, February 6, 2010

Food Poisoning, and a 29er pseudo-rant

The last 19 hours ish of my life has been not pleasant. I believe it was a case of food poisoning that has left me couch/bed ridden, and as of now am restricted to a regimented diet of: applesauce, apple juice, flat Sierra Mist, and pears. I also have found a new appreciation for a new roll of toilet paper. I think that this basic amenity is probably taken for granted on a day to day basis and all I am saying is wait until you run out at a very untimely time. Anyways long story short I am not getting any riding done this weekend, unless I make a miraculous recovery. So no bike ride posts until maybe Monday. I am trying to post on this religiously though so I will comment that in the last 3 weeks we have had a Specialized bike rep come talk about 29ers and I have sold two 29ers myself. I am very happy about this trend. It had been somewhat tough for me in the past to not talk up the benefits of a big wheeled bike to a customer, because, while I understand that 26 inch wheeled mountain bikes still work very well for some people, if you aren't one of those few individuals where either fit or bicycle handling abilities promotes the benefits of a 26er, and you are not on a 29er, you don't know what you are missing. The game is changing in the mtn world. The old handling and sluggish stereotype is quickly being eradicated by an ever progressing world of builders and new, not just different, geometric ideas. The biggest innovations in the bicycling world, in my opinion, are happening in the 29er world. People are continually figuring out ways to make these bikes more agile, while still retaining the benefits of rollover with the larger wheel. Like I said, I understand that 26 inch wheels may work better for some, I know these people, and they are fast. I can honestly say, that personally, I do not ever think I will buy a 26 inch wheeled mountain bike again. I am happy that they are no longer a trend and are most definitely here to stay. The 29er train has gotten up to speed, and good luck maintaining the momentum on your little 26" wheels. If you want more of my opinion come in to the shop and I'll talk your ear off... if I don't have food poisoning.

1 comment:

  1. I am ready to give it a try. The boss and I talked today and as soon as I have the pennies saved (soon), the epic comp 29er shall be mine. It will be my first 29er, but likely not my last.

    Burvalicious.

    ReplyDelete